Any interest out there for RallyX to come to El Paso area?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any interest out there for RallyX to come to El Paso area?

Post by vortico on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm kind of curious and just gauging the responses.  We have not discussed this yet, nor do we have potential sites for this yet.  Considering this is (or at least started as) an AWD group I thought it may peek some folks interest.

For those who don't know RallyX is similar to Autocross where you generally have 1-2 cars on the course at a time trying to get from the start of the course to the finish while navigating through a series of cones while not hitting them.

Rallycross (RallyX) is held on loose surfaces, in our case it would be on dirt/sand/gravel and goes somewhat similar to a regular AutoX event (although times are added together from every run so constancy is very important).  Tuscon, AZ is currently the closest place that holds these kinds of events.  It is also an SCCA Sanctioned event so all the benefits that brings are involved.  There are quite a bit less restrictions on RallyX compared to AutoX and its quite a bit less complex in the terms of the ruleset.

Here is the page for the Tuscon folks if you want to read up some more/see some videos.  http://azrallygroup.com/

vortico
AWD Noobie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any interest out there for RallyX to come to El Paso area?

Post by meanjoaquin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes motherfucker.
meanjoaquin
EPAWD Frequent Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob05 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Sounds good to me

Bob05
AWD Noobie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaz2.5 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 pm

I'd be down.  Definitely not with my current suspension setup though.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by STi2eNvy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:34 am

I would love to see it come here. Unfortunately, my STi would most likely never go on there due to all the stuff its getting done. But it would be great so that the other members of epawd could go out. If i sell on of my cars maybe id pick up another 2.5rs and take it out there =)

2010 Mini Cooper S Laurel Sport Convertible
2010 Black Mica Mazda RX8 Coupe
STi2eNvy
Community Founder =)

View user profile http://epawd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 9!'clipseDOHC on Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:38 pm

It's good to hear there is some interest here. At most Rallyx events its usually about 75% Subarus, so the way I see it, if we want it to succeed here we'd have to have the Subaru guys in on it! 

I have been going to all the Tucson RallyX events this year and have had to change some of my setup to make it more dirt friendly. I think if it was here a lot of the guys would do the same. Since its not here now it makes sense that not many people are going to be already setup for it out of the box. But the good news it that no one else is so its all a level playing field.

9!'clipseDOHC
AWD Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gs.clifton on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:57 pm

sounds fun im in
gs.clifton
AWD Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 9!'clipseDOHC on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Three of us from El Paso went out to the last RallyX in Tucson, AZ and took 1st and 3rd place in the modified 2wd category. We are hooked and are still working on bringing this to El Paso. We need a large, flat, dirt venue to use for the events. If anyone has any suggestions please let us know!

9!'clipseDOHC
AWD Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LaRa PwR on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:06 pm

ARRES Pareja bounce

AWD Noobie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fre3k5h0w on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:49 pm

This is exactly what I been looking for, a few of my inlaws extended family have some land out near hueco tanks...not really sure of how much. But its privately owned and undeveloped. The motorsports love in el Paso is quite large but there is nowhere for us to go as far as I know.

That is something that should obviously change, I'm trying to get my fingers on the pulse of these sporting events and have never participated in legally sanctioned racing so I would not know where to start or who to talk to about them.
fre3k5h0w
AWD Regular

View user profile http://247automotivetx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vortico on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:04 pm

We are planning on doing RallyX this season, we are still looking for alternative locations though. Right now our best location is not super ideal for holding rallyx events (has quite a bit of burms around it and other folks use it for off-roading) but we should be able to use it. If you know any privately owned land outside the city (less complaints) that is relatively flat, undeveloped and not overgrown (small grasses ok, bushes not so much unless we can try removing them) that would be great. "Idea" size is ~7-10 acres that would house a pretty good sized course + pit + grid area. Tuscon uses about 6 acres for the courses and they are pretty long ~60+ seconds. I have a couple other alternatives I'm working on but its been hard finding land that meets the requirements along with not being super expensive so we can keep entry fees down.

vortico
AWD Noobie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fre3k5h0w on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Awesome man, yeah that's about the only place I can think of I mean I haven't even seen this land my family has but it was split up between 11 people apparently and my father in law has I think 3 acres of it by himself so I'm thinking there is quite a spread. As far as being within city limits I have only heard that its close to hueco. I will get specifics and some gps locations, maybe it could be a good place to think about. Just a thought powered by fully tuned wishful thinking.
fre3k5h0w
AWD Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by vortico on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Cool, yeah if you can find out any info about it that would be great, especially if you know your father-in-laws neighbors or something =), would be cool to check out.

vortico
AWD Noobie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fre3k5h0w on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Lol..its barren out there brotha!! I was told it was out in the Middle of nowhere, Texas.
fre3k5h0w
AWD Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by 9!'clipseDOHC on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:42 pm

fre3k5h0w wrote:Lol..its barren out there brotha!!  I was told it was out in the Middle of nowhere, Texas.
If you have cords could you pull it up on google maps (satellite view) and post a link or screen shot? I live on the east side so I could drive by and check it out if it looks workable.

9!'clipseDOHC
AWD Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by heptone182 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:44 pm

You know Nate, an awesome place for this would be the dry lake bed of mountain shadow lake. It's got canopies all around the dry lake, grills, and a ton of parking. No one has used that place in YEARS!!! I wonder who owns it now. It would be awesome to make use of that place for something fun like this

heptone182
AWD Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 9!'clipseDOHC on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:04 am

heptone182 wrote:You know Nate, an awesome place for this would be the dry lake bed of mountain shadow lake. It's got canopies all around the dry lake, grills, and a ton of parking. No one has used that place in YEARS!!! I wonder who owns it now. It would be awesome to make use of that place for something fun like this
Steve! Is this the same place as Lake El Paso in Horizon? If so it's already on our list. It has way more space then we need, we just aren't sure how firm the surface is.

9!'clipseDOHC
AWD Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fre3k5h0w on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:31 am

^that sounds even better, already has amenities..no need to develelope or anything.
fre3k5h0w
AWD Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by vortico on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:44 am

I tried the Lake El Paso folks.  I need to talk with them some more, the issue there is they want good money to rent the area (and we're talking about the area just south of lake el paso, they will not let anyone onto the actual lake property, they were adamant about that).  When I mentioned how much we currently pay Cohen for Autox they seemed to lose interest which is understandable they are not going to make a killing.

vortico
AWD Noobie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fre3k5h0w on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:59 am

Damn capitolism..everybody wants to get rich off something huh? You guys do autox at Cohen stadium? I live like 3 minutes from there and have never seen anything. Im guessing the rear parking lot? When does the season start anyway..forgive my ignorance I haven't been part of any of that. All late bloomer style.
fre3k5h0w
AWD Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by vortico on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:05 am

Yeah they've been doing it there for years. I was doing it for the last 6 or so. Back parking lot, the one that is shaped like a T.

www.panamscca.com or www.facebook.com/panamscca

1st event is in March I think.

vortico
AWD Noobie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by heptone182 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:29 pm

9!'clipseDOHC wrote: Steve! Is this the same place as Lake El Paso in Horizon? If so it's already on our list. It has way more space then we need, we just aren't sure how firm the surface is.

Yes! It is. Time to do some exploring!!

vortico wrote:I tried the Lake El Paso folks.  I need to talk with them some more, the issue there is they want good money to rent the area (and we're talking about the area just south of lake el paso, they will not let anyone onto the actual lake property, they were adamant about that).  When I mentioned how much we currently pay Cohen for Autox they seemed to lose interest which is understandable they are not going to make a killing.

Who owns this place!? And why wouldn't they welcome anything that would bring good publicity to their property that's just sitting there locked up for years!?

heptone182
AWD Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vortico on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:28 pm

I'd have to look it up, they had some sand drags on their property a couple years ago (in the area we wanted to do the rallycross). I have to agree, I don't see why they wouldn't want to get some income.. they don't need to do anything or even provide insurance all they have to do is collect a check, albeit a small one lol.

The issue with their property was not publicity though it was retarded insurance rates due to 4-5 deaths in one year... only one of which was a drowning, the rest were suicides so that's retarded.

vortico
AWD Noobie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fre3k5h0w on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:56 am

Yeah, so I inquired about that land that my family has, its actually not so local..he told me years ago it was located about 20 miles north of socorro so in my mind I'm thinking hueco. Wrong, the spread is near Socorro New Mexico which is about 140 miles away....BLAST.

Folks be fickle about they're land and what happens with it, but S*** my inlaws were into it..I told them they might make a little cash and have the land developed a bit..as minuscule as it may be its still giving a local group a place to do what they love to do. Anyway it was worth a shot and future may hold something better locally.
fre3k5h0w
AWD Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by cexar08 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:23 am

well can anyone get sponsors and make it an event? pay the people off make a public rally finally come to El Paso Razz !! Its thinking big but red sands area east of el paso has some awesome trails! Has anyone ever done a turkey run here ?
cexar08
AWD Rookie

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/cesar.martinez.7792052

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top