EPAWD - EL PASO ALL WHEEL DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build)

5 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) Empty Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build)

Post by WANTED Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:32 am

My apologies for not posting this sooner. I promised Don a while back that I would do a build thread but have been slacking on posting one up. I posted this up on COEVOC, of which I am a founding member of as well. I also posted my original build thread from when I first built my current engine which I'll cross post if there's enough interest.

So to give some background on this build, I don't have to do this at all. My car and current engine run just fine without issues. What spurned this was a "conversation" I had with a shop owner I had a while back where he told me how I was not capable of putting together a competitive motor and how I had no idea what I was doing. Mind you, this particular shop owner likes to talk big, but can't produce what he preaches and overstates his abilities. I actually laughed to conversation off and called it a day. This was months ago.
But as we know, time is a funny thing, as is boredom. I have been extremely listless lately and was for some time pursing the idea of buying a GTR or a new GT500. Life, however, threw me a curveball and I ended up replacing my wife's Subaru instead with a 2013 Taurus SHO, which is a very capable car that lacks a lot of aftermarket support at present. So when an opportunity to get my hands on a 2.4 bottom end out of an 05 eclipse reared it's head at a price that was crack head low, the timing couldn't have been better.

Meet my new "Chunk O' S***"
Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0460
Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0459
Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0463

The whole motor was sitting outside for a a decent amount of time. I was able to talk down the price on account that I really didn't want the head. Luckily, he happened to want money enough that he caved. I'm glad he did.

A closer look reveals that this was definitely a bargain
Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0461
Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0462
I couldn't believe it. No cylinder wall scarring and the rotating assembly move absolutely freely. A very positive sign indeed.

Time to strip it down
Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0469
Oh goody, bearings still had oil and no scarring. So far, so good.

Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0468
Obviously it have some water sitting in it for enough time to form that much rust. It'll be getting a nice hot tanking really soon which should clear that up.

Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0472
PAYDIRT!!! It was an absolute crap shoot for me if the block would be in good enough shape to use, and at what I paid, this is an absolute bonus.

Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0471
Ready to get soaked for a while. Sh'e a dirty girl :lick:

And all of this crap is going right in the trash
Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) IMG_0470

Things are just getting started. It is my intention to take this build slow and take my time. The goal is to have the whole thing done and dropped in by next summer. It is still my intent to push a few limits. In fact, there are going to be quite a few parts transferred over from my stock bore stock head 2.3 build. But this time around, I'm going to get serious.

At present, I have pretty much sorted out all of my rotating assembly and am about to have my cylinders bored and the rotating assembly balanced. I decided to go with Wiseco HD pistons with a 10.5.1 CR, Oliver Ibeam rods, and sourced myself a Quartermaster twin disc push style clutch.

I intend to pull my motor in January and send both my head and transmission for some "love and magic". More to follow as things progress.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) Empty Re: Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build)

Post by evo my evo Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Keep us updated I'm very interested on this built, I have a friend who is about to do almost the thing but on a budget
evo my evo
evo my evo
EPAWD Frequent Flyer

Back to top Go down

Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build) Empty Re: Challenge Accepted (WANTED's motor build)

Post by WANTED Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm essentially doing the same thing, but it'll still be about $7500 in just upgrading my block, head, and transmission alone.

So far, I've spent about $1100 on the short block not counting machine work and the incidentals.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by evo my evo Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:24 am

7500 Shocked how much power are you expecting? What turbo are you going with?
evo my evo
evo my evo
EPAWD Frequent Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:45 am

That's the beauty of this build. I'm going to make more power and make it a bit sooner using the same turbo and injectors I'm using in my current setup. HTA 35r.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:47 am

As for power, I'm thinking I capping it at 700whp even though it's definitely capable of a lot more.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:59 am

I MiGhT be able to bring the cost down to somewhere between $6700-$7000 if I cut a few corners. There are a couple of things I don't necessarily have to replace.

I'll also recoup a little cash and sell my old set up, including my 2.0 block, knife edged 4g64 crank, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, and exedy HD twin. I'll also have a clutch slave cylinder, clutch fork, and clutch fork stop available. That should help me recoup around $1700 if it all sells.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:03 pm

And another $500 if I sell my Autronic ECU.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:40 am

So I've come to a decision as to my ECU setup. I've decided to switch back to the stock ECU.

I've been talking to Spec Ops in Fayetville and will be enlisting them to help me in setting up my ECU. While I can tune the ecu myself, I have no idea how to set up the speed density mods, the dual map switching, and eventually the flex fuel once it is out of beta testing.

Worst case scenario, should they balk AWD Motorsports is not that far from me either, and they can handle it as well. However, I've heard great things about Spec Ops and am confident they can get the job done.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by evo my evo Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 am

Pimp, I hear speed density is the way to go all the time from my friends but I like my maf
evo my evo
evo my evo
EPAWD Frequent Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:33 am

To be honest, at this point in the game unless you want to run a ridiculously over-sized turbo, or want to eliminate one more thing to fail, there's really no reason to go speed density. It's been proven that the maf can support very good numbers and performance now over how the DSM mafs performed.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 am

Also meant to note earlier, but Advanced auto is giving me a smoking deal on both the front o2 (which I previously eliminated but am putting back in) and the rear one. It's is the exact same ones sold by Mitsu without the dramatic price. They are in fact Denso sensors. Total savings, $300 vs buying it from the dealer (even online).

Last edited by WANTED on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:04 pm

None of this will be available for a few months, but I'm gauging interest in the following evo 8 parts:

Autronic PNP ecu with ait sensor
Stock intake and exhaust valves
Kiggley behive valve springs with OEM retainers
Knife-edged 4g64 crank shaft (journals never machined)
Eagle rods (standard length 150mm)
Wiseco stock bore 2.3 stroker pistons
Evo 8 4g63 block (never machined or bored, and will include the girdle)
STM clutch fork stop
Exedy HD twin plate clutch
OEM clutch slave cylinder and clutch fork
Apexi AVCR boost controller

I'll also gauge interest in selling the shortblock assembled. It would be just that though, and absolutely not include and other accessories (i.e. oil pump, pullies, oil pan, etc....). If someone was to want it, even though it doesn't even need it I would recommend replacing all the bearings and possibly the rings just because (I do this on any used engine I buy/install to be on the safe side)

Now, I'm only gauging interest, and am NOT taking any deposits of any sorts on any of these parts. This is only a curiosity if anyone here would even be interested in my parts.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:06 am

So as of today, I solidified my decision to convert back to the stock ECU by buying a 4 bar map, GM AIT, and Grimmspeed BCS.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 am

My block and entire rotating assembly are at my machinist in Colorado Springs. I'm having him deck the block, polish the crank, bore the block, balance my entire rotating assembly to include my clutch, and install new freeze plugs.

Should any of you move to Colorado Springs (at least one guy I know in EP will be going back soon), the machine shop I use is Rocky Mountain Machining. The owner's name is Stan and his work more than speaks for itself. He also stands behind it. I'll tell you upfront, because of this he is extremely busy. My work won't be done for a couple of months mainly because he is a 1-2 man operation. But with Stan, you definitely get what you pay for. I highly recommend him.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 am

I also may or may not have sourced out a built AMS cnc head. I'm in serious negotiations now and if the deal goes through, I'll have a virgin stock cylinder head available too. If not, it is my intent to have MAP do stage 5 work with extras in the near future.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Today all of my sensors and my bcs were delivered. I think I may do some wiring in the morning.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Just ordered up a crap ton of odds and ends I'll be needing. It really adds up quickly Evil or Very Mad
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by STi2eNvy Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Yeah I know, I am rebuilding the STi right now and it'll come out to quite a few thousands of dollars.
STi2eNvy
STi2eNvy
Community Founder =)

https://epawd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Just imagine though if you were paying someone for my build I'm doing on the side and on the cheap? You'd be looking around $4500 on the block alone, $2500 on just the head work provided you have a core, and $2500 on the transmission work if you had a core. No core? Add about another $1500-2000 to the total bill. Shipping not included.

That's also not including the essentials like cams, belts, oil pump, injectors, turbo, manifolds, etc....
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:46 am

So still a couple of weeks out before all of my machining gets done, but it is in the "cue"

Just finished gathering up all of my odds and ends EXCEPT for the head studs. I just can't decide on which I want to get yet but am leaning towards the ARP 625s.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Finally ordered the rest of my odds and ends to include the headstuds. Even paid for my head.

My bottom end is a couple of weeks out from being finished, which technically puts me ahead of schedule. Only issue I still face is my transmission, which I still have yet to decide on. Anything I choose is settling on account of the fact that I'm actually using my transmission budget for this motor build. I was originally saving up to buy a PPG Group-N gearset. I can't quite afford that now and am "settling" for something far inferior no matter who I go with.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Finally decided on a transmission. Now to completely mess with everyone though, I'm not going to tell anyone which build I'm doing.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by STi2eNvy Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 pm

I saw a group n ppg gearset for the sti that was awesome! It was at andrewtechs getting serviced. Only 6 in the country, or 4, I believe he said
STi2eNvy
STi2eNvy
Community Founder =)

https://epawd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Unfortunately, I'm not cool enough to be getting one this time around. HOWEVER, should anything happen to the gem I'm having built I will hold out until I get one.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next