EPAWD - EL PASO ALL WHEEL DRIVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!!

3 posters

Go down

Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! Empty Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!!

Post by WANTED Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:20 pm

They say you can't mess with perfection, but watch me do it anyway.Twisted Evil 

So I decided to play around with my 05 E55 AMG.
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0797_zpscac3f822

Now for those of you that have no idea what these are capable of, what you see here is a 5.5 liter supercharged v8. It rivals the CTS-V of the same period, among other cars. 469 hp, 519 tq, 0-60 is 4.5 seconds. Sure it has a governed speed of 156 mph, but the speedo has a top speed of 200mph. Not bad for a bone stock car, but we can do better. So I will and on the cheap (so to speak)Twisted Evil (Somehow I can hear Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May's voices as I type this.)

More to come soon.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! Empty Re: Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!!

Post by Chaz2.5 Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:14 am

I'm pretty sure that you of all people could take care of that governed speed cap!
Chaz2.5
Chaz2.5
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! Empty Re: Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!!

Post by WANTED Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Silly me. I probably should have mentioned that I already did.

My first order of business is not a mod per se, but rather I purchased a STAR DAS of my very own with full development mode. As of now I'm mechanically limited to 189 mph.

I've also just as quickly begun acquiring a few parts. But I'll save all of that for when I have all of them in hand. Some of it is enroute as I type this.

It may be appropriate to say this is a bit of a sleeper project considering that most people have no idea how this car compares to a standard E-class.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:37 am

Somehow with all the boxes I have showing up this week, I was half expecting UPS to simply drop the truck off at my house with a note on the door saying "we'll pick it up in the morning"
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaz2.5 Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:58 pm

LOL! When I had my eclipse back home the UPS guy would drop the packages off at my dad's work cause he knew no one would be home to sign for them.
Chaz2.5
Chaz2.5
Captain Slow

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Almost ready to begin. Mind you, I'm not going to go nuts with this build. Far, far from it. However, it will make some fairly decent gains all things considered.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

So without further delay, here we go.

What you see here is a M113K, the 5.5l hand assembled piece of goodness that we'll be playing with. The builder was even kind enough to autograph his handiwork.
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0848_zps5fdb1136

And here are the mods I'll be doing.
First up is a smaller supercharger clutch/pulley. This is where the bulk of my power is coming from aside from the tune.
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0850_zpscf2333dd

Unfortunately, when playing with the boost, you tend to create a bit of belt slip. To alleviate this potential issue and make more consistent power, here is what's called a belt wrap kit. Just for good measure, I'm also changing the associated pulleys to metal.
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0851_zps5a03b583

But when upping the boost, you up the heat produced. So we address it with an upgraded heat exchanger/intercooler. This one is by Eurocharged, and is far more efficient than the stock one.
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0849_zps1ab17a12

Finally, to maintain that cooling efficiency, we upgrade the intercooler pump. When the stock one fails (and it will), you get ZERO boost and you will know it. Luckily this can be easily addressed courtesy of teh good folks at Bosch.
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0852_zpsdb41aca2

I'm waiting on few more odds and ends as at the same time I'll knock out some scheduled maintenance. More to come soon.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Nothing much to see here. Just a bad man doing bad things. Smile

Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0869_zps41e3969c
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Now the only reason I had to pull the bumper was to change the heat exchanger/intercooler. I think these pics clearly illustrate why this switch is happening.

Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0871_zps2975aa84
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0870_zpsa0aebed6
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0872_zpsb69f9c9d

Here is a common issue with these cars, the supercharger pump. They may initially look identical, but the one on the right is a revised unit that flows a bit better.

Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0873_zps338c7a68
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0874_zps9b6396f3
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Always cool what a drill and a few rivets can do for you.

Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0875_zps620ad96a

But we're not done yet. Decided to get a couple of additional fueling and cooling mods before ecu and tcu tuning next week. All of this should be good for another 100+ hp/tq when all is said and done.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by STi2eNvy Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Very nice, I remember a girl in high school had this exact same car cuz her dad was loaded with money. I got to take it out once or twice and it definitely had some power as it was!
STi2eNvy
STi2eNvy
Community Founder =)

https://epawd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:40 am

On account of these cars costing $90k new, how was this girl not the love of your life.

So Friday is tuning day where we'll see if this all pans out. Yesterday I sent the shop my TCU so they can start tweaking it.
On today's agenda, supercharger pulley install, belt wrap install, and cooling system split.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:16 am

So I got most of what I wanted done, but got distracted in the process.  Damn you, Cable Television!!!!!

Quick comparison shot of the pulleys
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0876_zpsdca649b1
For some reason, pictures make it a little hard to tell, but in person you can clearly see the difference in size

And here is how it looks installed with the belt wrap kit
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0877_zps6bd84677
Say goodbye to belt slip.

I am so itching to install my new fuel rail setup, but can't yet until I push the new fluids through the car.  More to come.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:26 pm

So I was supposed to tune tomorrow, but my TCU did not show up. Oh well. Gives me time to retrofit a cd changer into my stereo setup.

Hopefully, it shows up tomorrow so I can finish the transmission service and then install the fuel rail.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 pm

After 8+ hours of trial and error, cursing, pain, agony, despair, grinding, and hammering (really, it was that involved) I finally got the looped fuel rail installed. This was definitely not a mod for the feint of heart. Wish I had a how-to to guide me through this, and had I had the 'where-with-all" I would have created one.

Now that I know what I'm doing with this, I could do this for other people but I would definitely charge an arm and a leg to do it.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:12 pm

I apologize in advance for not being able to get a bone stock baseline.  The shop is 4 hours away from me and only open on weekdays.  Most stokk w211 E55s make 342(ish).  The smaller number is baseline with only mods and no tuning.  Overall, not too shabby.
Not an AWD, but still plenty of fun Deutchland style!!! DSCN0879_zps2a92a4f6

My traction control F*** hates me as the car loves to tq steer even when already rolling.  I think I see an LSD rear diff in the near future but for just under $2k in mods and tuning, I'm not bitching.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by STi2eNvy Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:14 pm

That's pretty impressive
STi2eNvy
STi2eNvy
Community Founder =)

https://epawd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Well, this project continues even if it's through the meticulous upkeep. You know, the kinds of repairs that will break normal men. But bear in mind, I'm far from normal Twisted Evil

Anyways, my front air suspension went out and had to be replaced. Not the worst job in the world (nor the cheapest (fml)), but would absolutely have sucked had I not ponied up and bought my own STAR DAS. SOrry, no pics of the process or the new parts.

Next up, new and far more grippier tires, valve stem seals, and then back to the upgrading.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by WANTED Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Back from the dead. I really have not done much of anything with the car except collect parts. SO when I finally get around to installing everything, life will get very interesting very fast.

So right now I'm sitting on most every gasket imaginable I decided that it would be better to pull the heads to replace the valve seals vs trying to fill the cylinder with either air or rope. I don't have to do this, but I'm going to.

On top of that, I decided to beef up my cooling a bit with a larger intercooler reservoir, boost all the time by switching to a fixed supercharger pulley rather than the clutched one I'm currently running, Kleeman headers with a new x pipe to really deepen my exhaust growl, and finally adding an LSD to really bring out the animal within this beast. I'll also retune of course Smile

So when will this magic happen? Well, I'm busy studying for a graduate school entry exam so we'll see when I have the time. But don't worry, it will be soon.
WANTED
WANTED
Forum Outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down